Friday, March 26, 2010

One Year On: An Update



Can you believe it's already been one whole year since I started this Chronic Hysteresis blog? As the blurb near the top right of the page boldly states, it was my intention at the time to watch and review every single episode of Doctor Who in one calendar year, ending just in time for the premiere of the new Matt Smith series.

Well, as you can quite clearly see, I haven't quite succeeded in my goal. Real life has thoughtlessly intruded into my best laid plans (nothing bad, I've just been busy), so I've obviously had to alter those plans. I'll still complete the review of every episode - worry not. But I'm finding that while I'm still able to watch each episode (although also at a reduced rate), it's the writing of reviews that's really been hampered during all this. While you've just read my review of Episode Two of The Two Doctors, I've just watched Episode Two of Battlefield this morning!

So here's what I'm going to do - once I'm done watching the classic series episodes sometime in early April, I'll be putting my Doctor Who viewing on hiatus and focusing purely on catching up on the reviews (although I'll also probably be watching each new Matt Smith episode 2-3 times a week during that time). Ironic, isn't it, that I'm announcing a hiatus of Doctor Who watching in between my reviews for Parts Two and Three of The Two Doctors, just like when the BBC announced in the week between the original broadcast of those two episodes back in 1985 that they were putting Doctor Who on hiatus. Well, I found it noteworthy, anyway.

Basically, though, nothing will change on the blog - the same erratic posting schedule will continue for a while, but I just wanted to let all you faithful readers know what was going on behind the scenes. My new goal now is to finish my review of The End of Time, Part Two right around the time of the Series 5 finale in late June/early July so that I can start all my Series 5 reviews shortly afterward.

Thanks as always, everyone, for reading this blog. I do hope you enjoy my write-ups and the episodes of Doctor Who on which they are based.

9 comments:

Erik said...

Keep at it, Steven! You're doing such a great job!

Her Bloginess said...

You've done a great job so far. I've been anxiously watching for your reviews daily through my RSS feed reader. I know that real life can be a pain, so no worries on that account. I'm glad you're not giving up.

ChrisWDP said...

It has been great seeing the stories reviewed in a new light. It is understandable with the lag time as you are doing this on your time.

Thanks for doing this, it is great!

MisterChinn said...

The quality of the reviews is excellent. This site is going to stand as an excellent reference point. I imagine it would be easy to fall into the trap of pushing yourself to watch when your not in the mood and then write a jaded review. I for one really enjoy all the creaky effects because I find them charming and they give me a nice fuzzy feeling. By the way, please get to 200 before Trevor. He's got a cunning plan to put out lots of short episodes.He will be insufferably smug if he wins and I'll blame you.

Mark Patterson said...

As the other commenters have already said, this has been a terrific blog project, and even if I did think you owed us, your loyal readers, anything at all (which you clearly don't), you've more than earned the right to post at whatever rate works best for you. I've been following the blog since the beginning and have never posted, so this seems like as good a time as any to raise my head and say "thanks" for all the hard work. Looking forward to the final stretch.

Joshua H said...

I guess this is a good time to thank you for doing all these reviews! I went through all the classic stories from Troughton through McCoy last year (did Hartnell a year before, but took a hiatus due to reconstruction burnout) - in fact, watched Survival on New Year's Eve. It's been really enlightening to follow along someone else's take done at roughly the same time. As the person above said, this will be a wonderful resource in the years to come. Keep up the great work!

Steven said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments! It's gratifying to know that there are so many nice people reading this blog.

icewarrior67 said...

I to would like to pass on my appreciation to you for this blog. For the last year I've been printing off you Blog and reading on the tube on way home from work.

In fact as soon as the whole classic series is released on DVD I was planning on watching the series from the start myself. I've even got the recons of the missing stories.. just waiting for the beeb to release the rest.

I'm glad to hear to you plan to continue right through to the new series - which I hope you enjoy.

Long live RFS

Who+ said...

What can I add, really? This blog has been a brilliant way to pass the time over the past year, and I'm kind of glad it's going to be ongoing for a while yet. Whatever will I do with my spare time once it's over?

Post a Comment